Organisation Essentials

22:55

How to stay organised in life and as a blogger


I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at staying organised, but I'm sure any skills I already have will be well and truly put to the test when I start uni in a few weeks (gah!).  I don't know how it's all going to pan out in reality, but one thing I do know is that if I want that healthy balance between success and happiness (which I do), then organisation is key. If you're anything like me, then things can start to go a little pear-shaped when things feel out of control.  

Of course, different things work for different people, but I've put together a list (love a good list) of ideas that help me keep life (theoretically) all nice and sorted, which I thought might be useful for you too.

Invest in a pretty notebook

Seems fairly obvious, but you can't really go wrong with a notebook.  You can use it to plan your future blog posts, write lists of things you need to remember to do that week, as well as to keep track of the books/films/recipes/music you want to try out.  Personally, if I feel like my head is full of too many ideas and thoughts, I get all overwhelmed and just need to write them all down somewhere.  Oh, and it doesn't have to be pretty, but writing in a cute notebook with a cute pen makes me feel like I've just stepped out of an Instagram photo, which is always a bonus.

Use a diary

Again, not ground-breaking, but there are so many different ways of keeping a diary.  You can be traditional and write down your appointments and plans in an actual yearly planner, or you can use an app on your phone, which will also let you set reminders to keep you on track.  I personally prefer to have a hard copy with me in my bag, especially for writing down 'homework' and essay deadlines etc, because I find it easier to look at on a page rather than a tiny screen.  

Plan, plan, plan

As you may have gathered, my life just doesn't work unless it's planned out.  And while it's good to sometimes  just go with the flow or whatever, some things just work better with a bit of planning.  You might wake up feeling like there's just too much you've got to do, or want to do, and you don't know where to start.  So in the end you just find yourself lying down stressing about how much you want to achieve, whilst achieving absolutely nothing.  What works better for me is to grab a cup of tea and write a list of what needs to be (realistically) done and in what order.  You'll be surprised by how much better it will make you feel, and you'll immediately have a starting point for your day.  But don't feel bad about those 'netflix and chill' days, planning those is crucial too. 

Get yourself some killer storage

I love love love a good bit of storage, especially anything that helps keep my room organised (although I'm sure my mum would disagree).  One of my favourite storage items is my wooden stationary drawers, which will be especially great for uni.  I'm actually thinking of doing a DIY decorating project with them and writing a post about it, so watch out for that!  They're basically perfect for keeping your desk tidy, without taking up too much room and causing clutter.  These ones from IKEA are pretty ideal, and are only £18!  For all you beauty enthusiasts out there, this would also be perfect for de-cluttering your make-up.

Invest in a boxfile

Not the most exciting of items, but a boxfile for all your annoying paperwork can really help give yourself some head space.  When you're constantly wondering where that bank statement or that booking reference has gone, you're just creating unnecessary stress.  It doesn't take long to write out some labels, such as 'banking', 'medical' and 'receipts', and you can gradually file things until all the overwhelming piles of 'useful' documents on your desk have disappeared.  I wish I actually listened to my own advice sometimes...

Make a blogging schedule

If you blog for a hobby, then you'll know that it sometimes gets to the end of the week and you realise you haven't posted anything.  Other things just got in the way, and the 'less important' hobby got pushed aside.  But, as I've discovered from reading countless other blogs, consistency is key to growing your readership.  This means that it might be a good idea to set certain time aside for blogging, reading other blogs and leaving comments, taking photos and also for planning future posts.  You could always write this schedule out in your pretty notebook (you're welcome).

That's all for now, but when I get to uni and sort out my room, I'll probably do an update with anything that's been particularly useful!  

What would you add to my list of organisation essentials?








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images